What is the difference between the bus and the train in Machu Picchu trails?
During the 2 day short trail you can choose to travel by bus instead of by train, which is regular for the short trails. The difference is the way from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and back. The train ride (+/- 2 hours) takes shorter than the bus ride (+/- 7 hours). On the second day you have to keep the following in mind:
- By bus: In case you choose to travel by bus you should start hiking downwards from Machu Picchu at around 11 a.m. (based on the morning visit). You then have to walk back to Hydroelectrica where the busses leave at 03:00 p.m. and take around 6-7 hours to take you back to Cusco.
- By train: In case you choose to travel by train you can hike downwards from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes in the afternoon. From there, the train takes you in about 2 hours from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo. In Ollantaytambo, a bus takes you to Cusco in about 2 more hours where you arrive at around 10 p.m.
Unfortunately, not all student cards are allowed by the government and the ministry of culture of Peru. To summarize, your student card needs the following requirements:
- It’s a plastic card (a proof of registration on a paper is not accepted)
- You’re 25 years old or younger (verified using your passport)
- The card needs to mention:
- Your name
- Name of your university (unfortunately, some cards/schools, like the ISIC student card, are not accepted)
- The current study year (valid until is not accepted)
What is the difference between Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountain?
There are 2 mountains close to Machu Picchu (see the pictures above) which both give you the opportunity to watch the Inca Capital from further above.
- The Huayna Picchu is a shorter walk; you only need around 45 minutes to go up. At the top there is a nice archaeological center which you can visit. The hike down is also around 45 minutes.
- Machu Picchu Mountain takes around 1.5 hours to hike up. Just like the Huayna Picchu, there is an archaeological center which you can visit. Getting down will take you approximately 1.5 hours as well.
PM: unfortunately, this option is not possible in the 1 day Short Trail due to lack of time!
What does my extra COVID-19 insurance cover for me?
The COVID-19 insurance can be added to your tour(s) and covers all incurred and outstanding costs associated with the booked tour(s). This does not include the costs of the insurance itself. In the event of unexpected absence due to COVID-19 (i.e. not being able to travel due to country regulations, state of lockdown in the country of destination, etc.), the outstanding costs will be waived and the paid deposit will be refunded to the client. In particular, this insurance does not cover other reasons for unexpected absence, such as illnesses including COVID-19, missed transport, etc. The costs for this insurance differ per tour.