Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu
This tour is perfect for those short on time but eager to visit both the Sacred Valley and the Machu Picchu. In just 2 days you get to see both of these cultural highlights. We make our way through the ancient valley and find the tracks left by its old inhabitants; the Inca’s. While visiting cultural places like Salineras de Maras and Moray we get closer and closer to the final destination of this tour; Machu Picchu!
Day 1: Cusco – Sacred Valley – Aguas Calientes
Early in the morning, between 06:15 and 06:30 we pick you up from your hostel by bus. First of all, we will head to Chinchero, a picturesque town in the valley. It’s known for its agricultural terraces and Inca ruins. We continue our journey to Moray, thought to be an old laboratory. With its circular terraces it has a unique appearance. It was built for agriculture purposes, which can be seen to its irrigation canals. Most probably, the terraces where used for acclimatization and hybridization of wild plant species, as the temperatures varies on top and bottom of the terraces.
Afterwards, we visit Salineras de Maras. Salineras are protuberances of salt, or salt mines. As the name suggest there is a lot of salt forming, which is also still extracted in an artisanal way. The mines are build on the side of the mountain “Qaqawiñay.” During the dry season, every 3 days the mines are filled with salt water formed by local springs. As the water evaporates, the salt gradually solidifies. After a period of around 1 month, there is enough salt stacked up to extract.
After visiting Maras we make our way to the citadel of Ollantaytambo. This city was originally made to guard the entrance of the valley, probably from invasions of jungle inhabitants. We will walk through the streets of the town and thus have a clear idea of how this military, religious and cultural center was during the Inca empire. From Ollantaytambo, we also take the train to Aguas Calientes, this will depart at around 16:45 where after we will reach Aguas Calientes around 18:20 pm. You are free to take a dinner of own choice anywhere in Aguas Calientes. Afterwards you can take a well deserve rest.
During the tour we stop in Urabamba to have ourselves a nice prepared lunch!
Day 2: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Today, we will once again wake up very early! After you receive your snacks, you can either travel up to Machu Picchu by foot or by bus. The first is absolutely recommended for the hikers between us. You have to start your walk from the gates at 04:00 and walk up in about 1-2 hours, some fit people go might go faster! The first bus can be taken at 05:30, and goes up in about 30 minutes to the citadel of Machu Picchu. The early wake-up is rewarded as the first glimpse of the Machu Picchu will come together with the first sunlight of the day. A lot of people decide to watch the sunrise from the Inti Punku or Sungate, an assured spectacular view! You can do this easily by yourselves by following a clear path up.
After you have watched the sunrise you can enter the actual park itself. Most likely you can join a guided tour of the Inca city that will take approximately two hours – please ask your tour guide the day before. You can also choose to visit the city by yourself, normally, also for maximum 2 hours. Remember that after the guided tour you cannot enter the park again. Make sure to be back in Aguas Calientes to take the train back to Ollantaytambo at 18:00. From there, we have arranged a bus back to Cusco city centre, where we arrive approximately at 22:00.
- Salineras de Maras
- Aguas Calientes
- Machu Picchu
- Professional English/Spanish speaking guide
- Pick-up from Cusco hotel by bus to the Sacred Valley
- Lunch in Urabamba
- Round-trip train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu and back
- Night at a hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- 70 soles entrance fee (boleto turistico)*
- 10 soles entrance fee (Salineras)*
- Dinner (day 1)
- Lunch and dinner (day 2)
- Bus up and down from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (12 USD one way)
- Access to the Machu Picchu mountain or Huayna Picchu mountain. Take a look at the FAQ page for more information (20 euros)
*This should be paid in cash during the tour.
Student price – Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu 2D/1N: €299,-*
Adult price – Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu 2D/1N: €319,-
* You need to be in possession of a legit student card. This student card has to be valid until you have visited the Machu Picchu. Furthermore, the current year in which you study has to be visible on the student card. If not, you will get in trouble at the entrance of the Machu Picchu.
- Original identification documents (passport, ID)
- Student ID (optional)
- Flashlight (extra batteries)
- Binoculars (optional)
- Walking stick (optional)
- Extra money
- Small backpack & rain cover
- Personal medication kit
- Clothing – we’re in the mountains, so prepare for rapid temperature changes!
- Gloves/scarfs/hats for the cold blooded
- Thermal clothing
- Small towel
- Socks (warm)
- Walking shoes or good sandals
Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu
2 days / 1 night
Phone/Whatsapp: +31 6 31274832 or
+ 31 6 34471660
Bank: DE11 1001 1001 2622 0567 65